Probe - KL-Series How-to Shim The Oil Pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe - KL-Series How-to Shim The Oil Pump

Alright just shimmed my oil pump and I thought I would make a new write up on how to shim it since I'm bored so here we go, but just let me say it now I will take no responsibility for your actions if you choose to try this on your car. You are on your own if something goes wrong, but I doubt it will because of the extremely good feedback.

Step1: Jack up the car on level ground and put on jack stands.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	605

Step2: Gather required tools and materials including, Measuring device that measures mm, Socket wrench with at least 4" extension, 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm, 17mm socket. 10mm wrench. 10mm Allen wrench. You will also need a piece of pipe or a breaker bar. Rubber Mallet. A razor blade. Some Locktite, Oil pan Gasket, gasket maker material, and some RTV Black silicone.

Step3: Drain all the oil out(17mm), but don't take the filter out, cause it will drip on you the entire time and make you very mad. I took the filter out and it dripped the whole time. Note that if you have an aftermarket drain plug it may be a different size than the stock plug.

Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	614

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	613

Name:	03.jpg
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	612

Comment

Step 4: Take the bolts out for the inspection cover with the 14mm and get it out of the way. You can even check out your clutch now and see how dirty it is inside.

Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	617

Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	616

Comment

Step 5: Take oil pan bolts out one at a time. You will have to use the 10mm wrench for one of the bolts that the socket cant get to. Don't worry it shouldn't fall on you, because it should be sealed pretty good. Use the rubber mallet to bang on the side of the oil pan and get it loose. Remove the oil pan and set it aside. Note that the factory down pipe will need to be unbolted to allow room for the oil pan to come out. It is said that this is not the case with aftermarket headers.

Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	625

Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	624

Comment

Step 6: There should be one clearly visible 10mm allen wrench bolt on the oil pump. You will be removing this. But first you have to be able to get to it.

Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	629

Comment

Step 7: Remove Oil pick up (4 10mm bolts) and Remove pick up. Now remove The Crank Cover, and set aside for later installation. You should now have clear access to the Allen Bolt.

Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	636

Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	637

Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	638

Comment

Step 8: Remove allen bolt using the 10mm allen socket on the socket wrench in conjunction with the breaker bar or piece of pipe. It will most likely take a lot of force to get out. Ounce removed you will see the bottom of the bolt with the spring.

Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	644

Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	643

Comment

Step 9: Go to your local hardware store and go look through the washers find some that go over the keeper in the middle of the bolt but do not extend pass the treads obviously. MAKE SURE THEY ARE STAINLESS. Now use your measuring device that reads in mm. I have heard that anywhere between 2 and 3.3mm thickness in washers is good. If you go with 2 then the keeper on the allen bolt will still hold the spring, and if you do over that then the spring wont be on the keeper anymore but you will see a bigger increase in oil pressure. Its up to you to decide for the washer thickness. I went with 3 washers since I was having problems with low oil pressure.

Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	652

Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	651

Comment

Step 10: Once you have found your washers install them on the bolt and reinstall the assembly in the same manner as you took it out. But use locktite on the bolt because I have not been able to find a torque spec for it so tighten it to your judgement.

Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	654

Comment

Step 11: Use a razor blade to clean off the surface for the oil pan. Put the Crank cover on and (locktite if you want, I did for safety) and torque the bolts down to 15-19 ft pounds. Now use the gasket material to make a new gasket for the pickup tube. Just trace the factory gasket on the new material and kit it out to match. Next is to install oil pick up(don't over tighten bolts) just make sure the gasket seals.

Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	662

Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	661

Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	663

Comment

Step 12: Take razor blade and get all old gasket off. Then take the rtv black and make a bead all the way around the oil pan it will help with aligning the gasket and sealing. Put the oil pan gasket on and apply another bead of the rtv black on top of the oil pan gasket

Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	669

Comment

Step 13: Reinstall the oil pan and install all the bolts again tightening them down all around in a circle because you want to seal the gasket. Once fully tightened down install the inspection with the 3 14mm bolts. You can now take the oil filter off and replace it as that would be a good idea because its pretty much like you are doing an oil change. If you want even better oil pressure results use an oil filter from a 1992 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1. Fill back up to the mark on the dip stick with oil.

Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	676

Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	677

Comment

Step 14: Take the car back off of the jack stand and sit on level ground. Remove the fuel pump relay and turn the car over from 10-15 second. This is to get the motor pumping oil without it starting. Reinstall the relay and observe your oil pressure. Now you can party because you didn't have to buy an aftermarket oil pump.

It takes approximately 2.5 to 3 hours if you are taking your time to do it right. If anyone does this let me know how it works out for you, I have done it to my car and have heard of success with a lot of other people.

Comment

Working...
                          X